Planning a vacation to Albuquerque this year? If so, you’re going to want to plan it around at least one of these events. From art to food, live music and sports, there’s something for just about everyone happening this year in New Mexico. To help you plan your vacation, we’ve compiled a list of awesome events that you won’t want to miss this year. Book your stay at the Barcelona Suites hotel, and enjoy all the comfort, hospitality, and culture that Albuquerque has to offer.
28th Annual National Fiery Foods Barbecue Show – March 4-6, 2016
Located at the Sandia Resort and Casino, check out what’s been dubbed as “The Hottest Show on Earth”—the 28th Annual National Fiery Foods & Barbecue Show. This event is the largest and most-visited show that’s all about spicy foods and barbecue. This show features more than 200 booths and over 1,000 foods related to chili peppers. Find great samples of spicy foods, books, clothing, and decoration items.
Gathering of Nations Pow Wow – April 29-30, 2016
This event is North America’s largest pow wow, and it also features a Native American competition with Indian singing and dancing. This year’s event will be held at UNM’s The Pit Basketball Arena, and admission ranges from $14-34. The pow wow draws more than 3,000 participants, and you’ll also be able to check out some shopping, native foods, and music. The American Bus Association designated this event as one of North America’s Best Events for 2015, so if you missed last year’s, now’s the chance to make up for it.
27th Annual Rio Grande Valley Celtic Festival – May 21-22, 2016
The Rio Grande Valley Celtic Festival and Highland Games is an annual celebration of the lifestyle, traditions, and cultural heritage that Celtic nations bring to our American life. This festival features Celtic song, dance, traditional clothing, language, stories, humor, and so much more. There are also children’s events at this festival, so it’s perfect for the whole family. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for seniors, and $7 for kids, and it takes place at the Balloon Fiesta Park.
Festival Flamenco Internacional de Alburquerque – June 5-11, 2016
This weeklong festival is presented by the National Institute of Flamenco. It’s considered to be the most important and longest standing flamenco event outside of Spain, and includes not just spectacular performances, but also a number of workshops. Admission prices vary, so for more information, visit the event’s website.
Summerfests – Heights, Route 66, Downtown, and Westside
Of course, summertime is an ideal time for outdoor festivals, and Albuquerque has no shortage
- The Heights Summerfest takes place on June 11, 2016, from 5-10:30 p.m.
- The Route 66 Summerfest this year will be on July 16 from 2-10:30 p.m. and is hosting nearly 2 dozen musicians, and what’s best, it’s free!
- On August 6, 2016, check out Downtown Summerfest, at Civic Plaza from 5-10:30 p.m. It features local bands and handmade goods offered by local artisans, free kids’ activities, onsite food trucks, and local beers.
- Finally, don’t miss the Westside Summerfest, held on Cottonwood Drive between Old Airport Road and Ellison Drive. It will be on August 20, from 5-10:30 p.m., and is a family-friendly event featuring kids’ activities, a market with local artisans, and more.
Every year, Albuquerque is home to landmark events that draw people from all over the country. Don’t miss this year’s iterations:
- The 12th Annual Old Town Salsa Fiesta, to be held on September 10, 2016, from noon to 7 p.m.
- The 78th Annual New Mexico State Fair, from September 8 to September 18. Sunday through Thursday hours for the fair are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday/Saturday hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- 4th Annual Albuquerque American Indian Arts Festival: October 1-2, 2016, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days.
- The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, from October 1-9.
Albuquerque Grecian Festival
From September 30 to October 2, 2016, check out the Albuquerque Grecian Festival. You’ll feel like you stepped into Greece, and you’ll be able to enjoy live Greek music, Greek cuisine, and dancers performing traditional dances in colorful costumes.
Disney’s The Lion King Live – October 4-30, 2016
Finally, we have a live performance of a beloved show. Disney’s The Lion King Live will be at Popejoy Hall during the month of October. Ticket prices and show times vary, but this landmark musical, directed by the award-winning director Julie Taymore, features the music you love from Elton John and Tim Rice and is perfect for the whole family.
Book your stay at the Barcelona Suites today for any one of these events! You’ll love our comfortable amenities, like a free, cooked-to-order breakfast, spacious two-room suites, indoor and outdoor pools, and so much more. Contact us today for more information!