This year’s Gildan New Mexico Bowl is scheduled to take place on December 19, 2015, so if you’re considering going to it, now’s the time to book your hotel stay and start planning the trip. Last year’s game, the 9th annual, showcased a match between the Utah State University Aggies and the University of Texas, El Paso Miners, with Utah claiming victory.
Though we don’t yet know who is facing off this year, one thing is for sure—it’s going to be something you won’t want to miss. In honor of the Bowl, we’ve compiled eight of our favorite facts about the Gildan New Mexico Bowl.
Incorporating Albuquerque Culture
1) Though the New Mexico Bowl happens but once a year, organizers stay active throughout the offseason by keeping involved with the nation and the local community. The Bowl proudly co-sponsors the Presbyterian Ear Institute’s Run to Break the Silence—a 5K/10K/20K fun run held at the Sandia Resort and Casino.
2) The trophy for the New Mexico Bowl is a 20-inch piece of Zia Pueblo Pottery. It’s painted with Pueblo symbols, football players, logos of the competing teams, and the New Mexico Bowl logo. Incorporated into the Bowl logo is the Zia symbol, which is used in the New Mexico state flag.
Facts About the Game
3) The 2012 game was the highest scoring and closest New Mexico Bowl of all time, with an end score of 48-49, with the Arizona Wildcats taking the trophy.
4) The Bowl was formerly known as the New Mexico Bowl from 2006-2010. In 2011, Gildan began sponsoring the game and its name changed.
5) Each year, the Bowl features one team from the Mountain West Conference and a team from Conference USA—provided, of course, that both conferences have enough bowl-eligible teams.
6) The MVP trophies for the game are crafted from traditional leather Zia Pueblo shields. Last year’s MVPs were Kent Myers of Utah State and Zach Vigil from Utah State.
7) Colorado State is the only team to have played and won the Bowl twice.
8) The Bowl’s logo has only changed once. One logo was used from 2006 to 2009, and was changed in 2010 for the fifth anniversary.
Planning your trip to Albuquerque for the Gildan New Mexico Bowl is easy when you book with Barcelona Suites. Our comfortable, two-room suites give you the space you need to kick back and relax, and the convenient location is perfect for getting to and from the game. To find out more about booking your stay, call us anytime!